What should you know about the PAUSE campaign, now Initiative 16?
What is Initiative 16?
Initiative 16 is a citizen-led ballot initiative which:
- Criminalizes accepted animal husbandry practices used by farmers, ranchers, and veterinarians to care for animals.
- Changes Colorado statutory language to define common practices as “cruelty to animals.”
- Bans the harvesting of animals which have lived less than 25% of their “natural” lifespan.
- Criminalizes the following veterinary and animal husbandry practices: spaying and neutering, birthing assistance, reproductive practices like artificial insemination, pregnancy diagnosis, fertility testing, etc.
- Eliminates accepted animal husbandry practices, opening the door to animal cruelty prosecution for common and basic practices such as feeding, sheltering, and transportation.
What are some of the impacts?
- Devastate Colorado’s $5 billion agricultural livestock industry.
- Eliminate Colorado’s $1 billion annual beef exports.
- Kill nearly all jobs linked to Colorado beef and lamb processing.
- Jack up consumer costs for meat.
- Result in practices that are bad for the animals and the environment by requiring detrimental production practices.
- Erase Colorado's Western Culture heritage effectively banning rodeos, county fairs, and horse shows.